Franklin Five


Franklin Five Collage

Franklin’s Five: Best Opportunities for Preservation

Announcing the Franklin Five Best Opportunities for Preservation.  The Franklin County Trust presents five historic places in Franklin County that are ready for rehabilitation and preservation.  These places are historic landmarks in our community, but their retention of historic characteristics, good condition, and available incentives create an opportunity for historic preservation projects that once completed will be transformative for our community.  These places offer the next owner an opportunity to preserve important historic places in Franklin County while preserving the places that help create our community identity.  The Trust hope that by spotlighting these historic places, others will see their intrinsic and historic value, and consider renovations to make each site a functional part of our community once more.

For more information regarding the Franklin Five, please us at info@fcthpt.org.

 

Bald Knob School 2

Bald Knob School

285 Flat Creek Road
Built 1939
The Bald Knob High School served as a school and community center for over 60 years.  Built in 1939 by the Doll Lumber Company in a style similar to two other schools in the county, the building held students and educators until 2003 when it was replaced by Westridge Elementary some nine miles away.  The old school offered many uses with some 28,000 sqft in 18 large classrooms, gymnasium, cafeteria and garage.  Though not currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places, similar school buildings have been listed in the county making this one likely eligible.  If listed the building could qualify for up to 40% federal and state preservation tax credits for rehabilitation.

Contact: Bluegrass Reality, www.buybluegrass.com, 502-329-4754

 

South Warehouse 2

Samuel South Warehouses

112-116 E Broadway

Built 1879

Built c1867 by the enterprising Col. J.W. South, these warehouses supplied storage of goods for the nearby prison and local industry for shipping on the adjacent rail line.  Built partially by inmates from the nearby prison, the building was designed to allow easy access from the rear entrances to train cars on the adjacent tracks for the loading of goods.  Over the years the buildings have held whiskey, produce, furniture, storage and numerous businesses.  Designed with party walls, the building is in fact four contiguous units on four levels encompassing some 38,000 sqft of space.   The unique rusticated masonry walls with limestone belt course and arched windows and doors makes this one of few buildings from the reconstruction era left in Frankfort. Listed as a contributing in the National Register of Historic Places district, the building qualifies for state and national rehabilitation tax incentives of up to 40% creating a multitude of potential uses.

Contact: Bianca Wall, 502-333-0388

 

Fairview Farm 2

Fairview Farm

Duncan Road

Built c1796 & 1880

The historic Fairlawn Farm, also known as the Blanton-Crutcher located in Jett was built c1796 and later expanded and renovated in the 1880’s.  Built by Carter Blanton, the 110 acre farm features early outbuildings, two ponds, tobacco and equestrian barns in addition to the noted historic house. The house has been vacant for the past several years, and will require rehabilitation to correct damage caused by a roof leak, but will be show place once restored. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places the home qualifies for a 30% owner occupied tax credit incentive to offset the cost of rehabilitation.  Located within five miles of downtown Frankfort, the Fairlawn farm offers an unparalleled opportunity for a prestigious farm only minutes from the City and in the heart of the bluegrass.

Contact: The Franklin Co Trust, 502-320-9735, info@fcthp.org

 

Hoge House

The Hoge House

302 Wilkinson Avenue

Built c1810

The Crittenden-Garrad House, also called the Hoge House, is a Federal style house constructed approximately 1810 in Frankfort’s famed Corner in Celebrities Historic District.  Once home of early Frankfort residents Judge Jacob Swigert, Thomas Crittenden and James H. Garrard whose family retained the property until 1902 when it was sold to Callaway Hoge, wife of Will H. Hoge. The Hoge family maintained the home until 1944. In 1973 after saved from demolition, the house was sold to the State of Kentucky and served as headquarters of many state agencies over the years, most recently the Commission on Military Affairs.

Though greatly altered by several state agencies, the house retains many early finishes which can be replicated to restore this once grandest of all Frankfort homes. Listed as a contributing to the National Register of Historic Places district, the Hoge House could be eligible for up to a 30% rehabilitation tax credit.

Contact: Kentucky Division of Real Properties, 502-782-0360

 

Fincel House 2

The Fincel House

Cove Springs Rd.

Built 1925

Built c1925 by Clayton and Clara Fincel, this house is constructed of native Kentucky river marble in the modern style of its period.  Originally part of a larger lot, the house now rests on just over 4 acres of rural seclusion just two miles from downtown Frankfort, and within the City limits.  Though the interior has been altered to serve as a Montessori School for more than 20 years, the original intention of design is retained and can be easily restored.  Though vacant for several years, the home is in good condition.  Not currently listed on the National Register, the building could be eligible making the next owners qualified for Kentucky historic preservation rehabilitation tax credits.  The tranquil setting of the house, adjoining a public park creates an incomparable house to create a family home, event venue, or business.

Contact: Bluegrass Reality, www.buybluegrass.com, 502-329-4754